Position: Country Coordinator, WAN-IFRA Women in News, Vietnam
Engagement length: 1 August 2022 through to 30 January 2023 (6 months)
Engagement type: (Milestone-based contract; approximately 15 days per month)
WAN-IFRA Women in News (WIN) aims to increase women’s leadership and voices in the news. It does so by equipping women journalists and editors with the skills, strategies, and support networks to take on greater leadership positions within their media. In parallel, WIN partners with media organisations to identify industry-led solutions to create environments that embrace equality, and navigate the transition to digital to build toward greater financial and operational stability.
Our Vision is a media industry in which women and men are equal. Equal in the way they are portrayed in news content and equal in their professional roles and treatment in the newsroom within stable media organisations.
Women in News has been running capacity building programmes and in-house training and coaching for 12 years in Sub-Saharan Africa, 7 years in the Arab region, and 3 years in Southeast Asia via support from the Swedish International Cooperation Development Agency and Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. We launched in Myanmar and Vietnam in 2019 and expanded to the Philippines and Indonesia last year as part of WAN-IFRA’s strengthening independent programme, which is supported by the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
WAN-IFRA Women in News is seeking a Country Coordinator to support the Vietnam division of the programme, notably working with our advisory partners in the country and any other related activity.
The Country Coordinator, Vietnam, Women in News is an essential position within the Women in News senior leadership team within the WAN-IFRA Media Freedom division. He/she is expected to work closely and collaboratively with the Director of Southeast Asia to implement WIN’s shared vision and strategic objectives. He/she will work openly and collaboratively with his/her counterparts in Vietnam and other key members of the leadership group. This is a 6-month contract position.
Applicants should ideally be located in Vietnam.
Specific deliverables of this role include:
- Support and coordinate implementation of WIN Leadership Accelerator activities in collaboration with the Director of Southeast Asia;
- Support review of applications and onboarding for WIN Leadership Accelerator in collaboration with the Director of Southeast Asia;
- Implement WIN Leadership Hub and any other related activities according to the project calendar e.g. graduation;
- Serve as primary liaison in communication with participants and coaches;
- Provide logistical support for WIN training in Gender Balance in Content, Media Management and Digital ABC;
- Offer support in documenting coachees’ experience within WIN journey;
- Ensure project management tables are up to date;
- Coordinate and monitor coaching activities (ongoing) and ensure monitoring reporting tools are completed e.g. coaching tracker and log;
- Facilitating coaches’ meetings/sessions to consult on relevant issues.
- Assist in collating articles and material (content) e.g. good news stories from the participants and videos, quotes, etc. from coaches for the WIN digest and social media platforms in collaboration with the communications coordinator;
MREL and Reporting
- Support in all MREL and reporting activities within the Leadership Accelerator e.g. following up of reports from coaches;
- Conduct in-house measurement and interviews as needed in support of final programme-end reporting;
- Organise WIN Vietnam database of materials and documents ensuring all files are up to date including those pertaining to procurement and any contracts or datasheets relating to engagements over the operating year;
- Coordinate and support the Director of Southeast Asia by ensuring an end of year report is submitted on time according to the programme calendar;
- General support to the Director of Southeast Asia and the WIN Programme as and when required.
- Excellent project management skills with a proven track record in the successful completion of projects within set timeframes;
- 2-5 years Project management experience with large-scale, gender, media development or press freedom advocacy programmes throughout Vietnam with established networks within the media and gender/diversity CSO space, as well as academia (universities/technical colleges) in the Vietnam;
- Distinguished leadership skills including self-management skills;
- Ability to demonstrate trustworthiness, dependability and agility to respond to emerging; and urgent issues;
- Demonstrated knowledge of coaching and mentoring skills;
- Demonstrated teamwork, collaboration, organisational and critical thinking skills;
- Ability to make immediate and fast decisions (effective decision-making skills);
- Demonstrated ability to manage conflict and facilitate/moderate in meetings and secure common ground and consensus;
- Solid communication skills (written and speaking) with the ability to communicate effectively with influence colleagues, peers and partners;
- Exceptional time and budget management skills, and ability to lead multiple projects at once;
- Robust relationship management skills with consistent engagement and leveraging of networks of partners and other key stakeholders;
- Ability to collaborate effectively with remote team members;
- Results-oriented disposition;
- Strong moral and ethical principles and values;
- Confident numeracy, written & IT skills, excellent interpersonal skills, analytical reasoning;
- Knowledge of coaching in leadership will be an added advantage;
- Direct experience in the media industry in the region will be an added advantage.
WAN-IFRA Women in News is committed to diversity and inclusion and creating an environment which embraces collaboration and equality. Women, non-binary, LGBTQI+, disabled and visible minority candidates are especially encouraged to apply, as these groups are underrepresented throughout the media industry. www.womeninnews.org
Interested applicants should send their CVs to HR@womeninnews.org by Thursday, 30th June 2022. Please include the position in the subject line of your email. Please note, that only successful candidates will be contacted.
WAN-IFRA is the global organisation of the world’s newspapers and news publishers, representing more than 18,000 publications, 15,000 online sites and over 3,000 companies in more than 120 countries. WAN-IFRA is unique in its position as a global industry association with a human rights mandate to defend and promote media freedom, and the economic independence of news media as an essential condition of that freedom.
WAN-IFRA applies a dual approach to supporting media freedom. It addresses political and structural constraints to media freedom through advocacy and at the same time works to strengthen the capacity and networks of the media and their representative institutions. This dual approach allows WAN-IFRA to address challenges to media freedom from multiple perspectives, leveraging experiences and synergies between advocacy and development projects, partnerships and the wider expertise of WAN-IFRA’s international community to encourage meaningful change.