On 7 June 2017, more than 200 leading editors and journalists from around the world will hear from innovative women at the top of the news game at the inaugural Women In News Summit.
“Breaking through”, is the theme of the Summit, which is being held in association with the World News Media Congress and World Editors Forum, taking place in Durban from 7-9 June. It is a component of WAN-IFRA’s sector-leading Women in News initiative, which seeks to increase women’s leadership and voices in the news.
Media executives who are redefining the media landscape – on their terms, speakers and mentors speaking the inaugural Women in News Summit in Durban include:
- Catherine Gicheru, Country Lead, Code for Kenya, ICFJ Knight Fellow, Kenya
- Ritu Kapur, Co-Founder & CEO, The Quint, India
- Lisa MacLeod, Head of Digital, Times Media Group, South Africa
- Verashni Pillay, former Editor-in-Chief, Huffington Post South Africa
- Maria A. Ressa, CEO and Executive Editor, Rappler, Philippines
- Helje Solberg, CEO/Editor, VGTV, Norway
- Monica Almeida, Bureau Chief, El Universo, Equador
- Fatemah Farag, Founder and Director, Welad Elbalad Media Services LTD, Egypt, Director, WIN MENA
As part of the Summit, a panel session hosted by Google will address the Gender Representation and Gender Bias in News Reporting in the Age of Social Media. The full programme of conferences and workshops taking place in Durban can be found here (www.wan-ifra.org/
Laureates of the Women in News Editorial Leadership Award 2017 will be honoured at the WIN Summit. Two top achieving editors, one from the Middle East, North Africa region and one from sub-Saharan Africa will each receive a 2017 WIN Newsroom Leadership Award for exceptional contributions to their newsrooms.
Online registration for the World News Media Congress is available at : www.wan-ifra.org/durban2017.